Friday, June 20, 2008

Bummer

One of my favorite artists of all time, Tom Waits, will be performing at the venerable Fox Theatre here in Atlanta July 5. This legendary theatre is considered one of the great venues in all of America, having hosted the likes of REM, the Pixies, and the Rolling Stones during it's long run. Seeing a great performer at the Fox is considered quite an experience.

Well, as it turns out, the only Fox show I've attended since my arrival here in Atlanta two years ago has been Dora the Marketing Machine: Pirates of Penzance. My daughter had a great time but that wasn't the indoctrination I had in mind. A Tom Waits performance fits that criteria nicely, however, I'll be out of town in the hot, sweaty Hill country of Texas that weekend and will be unable to attend. Boooooooo! Damn family reunions. And so my quest to see a high caliber Fox show continues.

As a tribute to Tom's Atlanta visit, here's a video of Tom performing "The Piano Has Been Drinking" on the old Fernwood Tonight show hosted by Martin Mull. The video includes a sit down interview following his performance and, as expected, Tom does not adhere to standard TV interview etiquette. Great TV and should be a great night at the Fox.

Maybe next time.

No comments: